Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our first weekend here = success

We've had a pretty perfect weekend here in SouthEast Georgia. I am delighted to report this because I think both Brad and I were a little anxious about our first full weekend in our new city. We both have agreed that much of our reasoning behind this move was the ability to truly prioritize our family of 3. We knew there would be little distractions and we would almost be forced to get to know each other again and to develop the characteristics of our family that we often dream about. Ironically, the first few weeks here have done just the opposite than planned mostly because we have traveled so much and have yet to actually spend time here with no agenda. So, I was a little anxious to see how this whole weekend would play out and if our "reason behind the move" would actually cause us to sit still a little. Well, we didn't sit still but we have certainly done everything together. Brad, I know, was feeling a little anxiety because he felt like he had to have the perfect restaurant and the perfect babysitter along with the perfect weather for our first weekend here in order to get even a half smile out of me. Well, folks, I am smiling big right now...I am not as tough as he thinks.
Friday night we went to celebrate Brooks' 5th month with a margarita and some cheese dip. I have quiet a fixation for Mexican food or anything close - tex mex, taco bell...whatever....I love some chips and salsa! Brooks behaved nicely on his birthday and we enjoyed checking out our neighborhood Mexican spot. True, it is no Taqueria and there are really no similarities but it is a mile from our house and we can find out anything about the neighborhood that we would want to know from all the faithfuls that are seen there nightly.

*the picture below shows you my husbands brilliance and infatuation with his iphone. Why not watch baby einstein while waiting for your burrito?
Yesterday we ventured to the Home Depot together and walked each and every aisle. As Brad commented correctly, I never would have done this with him in Atlanta. But in Slow-vanna, with not a thing to do, I was thrilled to explore our local do-it-yourself megastore with my groom. We ended the day with a pretty sweet date. We have had a babysitter 3 times in our 2.5 weeks here and that is 3 times more than we did in Atlanta (not including Nana Nise who is more like Brooks' second mama when we are there). We trekked the 20 minutes to Tybee Island in order to eat some typical seafood and watch a sunset. I still can't believe we live near water and even seeing it doesn't make it real (maybe once I get my toes wet it will hit me) but I love that we do! After our yummy dinner we headed to the Bohemian, Savannah's newest hotel and home of the lone (as far as I know) rooftop bar in the city. We both felt like we were 22 again with out a responsibility in the world. It's funny how just a night like that can truly make you forget about the 18 pound dependent human snoozing at home in his crib. Oh, and just because you can in Savannah, we purposely didn't finish our drinks and walked right out the door with them as we ended our night strolling the tree-lined squares back to our car. It was a pretty perfect evening thanks to Brad, my trip advisor, personal travel agent, and muy guapo date all-in-one.

Today we tried a new church and afterward we ran into an old sorority sister of mine who married a fraternity brother of Brad's. This was pretty perfect timing as we both were a little blue going into the weekend from not knowing anyone or seeing anyone familiar in nearly a month now. After church we went on a short turned HUGE walk in order to explore our neighboring isand. 6.7 miles and two blisters later we came back to the dock to take in the perfectly warm yet cool temperatures and our first real sunshine (and slight sunburn) in a while. This was truly one of the most beautiful and peaceful walks my little fast-walkin feet have experienced. Happy feelings were certainly stirring throughout our mini marathon and I just let them stir. It felt so good to truly enjoy the day, our new city, and our family of 3. As one can probably easily tell - this has been a hard transition especially for me so a genuine smile today was a much needed treat for both Brad and I!

I digress...Brooks likes beer. Yes, that's how I'll end this. Brooks is fascinated with his dad's beer bottle and therefore Brad is using them to lure him to roll from his belly to his back. Now only if he could reward him with a sip, he said, that would be funny.


*Don't turn us in...he doesn't really get a sip or atleast he didn't as far as I know. Who knows what Brad does to soothe this baby? Is it the shape of the bottle that so intrigues him or is it the shiny color? Who am I fooling....he probably already has some clue that the stuff tastes good and will cause his mama many sleepless nights worrying so his interest is sparked.

So,much to our surprise we not only survived our first weekend here by oursleves, we embraced it and truly felt like a family - a real, live, American family. God knows what we need right when we need it and this weekend is proof of that....I am very grateful.

Added bonus for special Sunday readers:
Because Brooks makes me laugh - I hope this makes you laugh, too.

3 comments:

  1. Betsy! What a fun weekend! I would LOVE to have a weekend like that and am proud that you and Brad (& Brooks!) took advantage of it. And, I am so happy that you're pretty little face was smiling. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bets, it makes me so happy to read this post! I know the Lord is doing GREAT things for you and through you in Slow-vannah, which must I remind you is a booming metropolis compared to where I grew up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooks is SO adorable! I love the video...precious.

    ReplyDelete