Saturday, December 12, 2009

2 sick boys and a rainy Saturday

What do you do on the one Saturday that you are actually (unexpectedly) in town and the sky has been crying big alligator sized tears all day long? The tears just didn't stop coming today along with a pretty fierce wind. Naturally we were cooped up in our abode like most Georgian's were today.....looking in corners for things to do and things to eat. On top of the dreary weather outside, the spirits weren't so high inside either. The little man of the house had the nastiest cold I have ever seen. His cold seems like a dad sized cold all welled up in that little body. Oh, he was just so pathetic looking. Luckily, he was happy to have us all to himself today and happy that his dad was home to share in his misery so he was not as cranky as you would imagine a hacking, snotting, feverish nearly 7 month old. His dad on the other hand (don't tell him) has a baby sized cold and is much more put out by his symptoms than the little guy. So what's a girl to do? I decided early in the day I would clean the house from head to toe to prepare for my first gathering of friends to the house next week. I also decided I would complete one of the following projects (some of which were started two years ago) - begin Wedding picture album, work on Brooks' baby book, create collage of black and white pictures in black frames for the hallway, sew buttons on pillows that Amos chewed in his early years, write letters to dear friends like I used to do, address Christmas cards (though I am actually late on these this year even though in an earlier post I said I would be early) or iron the clean, crisp, white bed linens on my bed (fresh, plump bed linens make me act out of character). Unfortunately, the ever flowing stream of mucus from one of the boys nose kept me occupied much of the day and I am just now sitting down for the day.

And I am pooped. But had I not spent the day all bound up with two icky boys I would not have discovered the best part of this entire Christmas season so far. Ta da! We have a fireplace. We have a live, working fireplace and it is soo pretty in the dark room right now! I had coveted my neighbors smoke rolling from their chimney the last few cold days but no longer! Tonight I have my very own roaring, warming, soothing fire and honestly, had we not been stuck in the dark room all day we wouldn't have actually been bored enough to make it work! I am thrilled about what this nasty weather and my two sick babies have brought about. In an instant, Christmas time here (alone) in Savannah doesn't seem so cold and lonely. I love a rainy, sick day every once in awhile! Oh, and how fun is it to actually wear my rain boots I bought the last time it poured for the purpose they were made - to stomp in the rain on the way to the mailbox! I love wearing useful clothing.

And for your enjoyment: A few funny facts about the Christmas season:
1) Every year my parents would beg us to watch It's a Wonderful Life among other holiday classics. For some reason, to this day I do not know that I have actually ever watched the whole movie. Maybe this year?
2) I LOVE exquisetly wrapped presents...with huge overflowing ribbon, bright yet crisp paper, plush tissue paper beneath, and fun little trinkets to adorn. Oh.....I love a perfectly wrapped present and I know many will not agree but I think the wrapping of the present is half the joy of getting a present. i won't lie....I don't wrap my presents with such passion..yet....but I will one day when I don't know what to do with my money. And I'd find the papers here in the Virginia Highlands.
3) I am the gift giver that many people don't like. I like to find the present you would never buy yourself but once I give it to you - you wonder what you ever did without it....I just love to find a unique something for each person.
4) My favorite Christmas as a child was the Christmas we found the trampoline Santa had hidden in the garage a few days before he actually came. My parents left me to watch the 3 other munchkins and we jumped and jumped as much as any four youngsters could jump in a 10 foot garage.
5) I love my dad's Christmas wassail he makes every year.
6) I love wearing fuzzy, warm Christmas themed socks about the house for the weeks leading up to the big day
7) I love Christmas time with Brad. He is as cheesy as it gets when it comes to Christmas and that sure is fun for me. I am glad I don't live with a scrooge this time of the year.
8) I don't get Cranberry sauce.
9)I can't wait to play Santa Claus for Brooks but more so, I can't wait to get to eat a bite of a cookie and leave the rest on the plate. That was always so convincing for me.
10) Our Christmas parties and Christmas in July parties at the Terrace (my house in Buckhead before marriage and where 3 of my favorite people spent their days with me) were I think the best social event in Atlanta back in the day. Oh how I miss our 15 foot tall Santa Clause and our over-lit Christmas tree (Katherine was the tree lighting queen!), margarita machines and tacky Christmas sweaters. I love to get lost in my own memories about my days at "The Terrace"...what a sweet sweet time!

I hope you are doing something warm and Christmasy tonight with your favorite people even if their noses are dripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment