Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The way to my heart

1) Send a Christmas card with a picture
2) Make the bed in the morning before you go to work without me knowing
3) Smile at me when I am come into greet you in the morning
4) Send 2 dozen Christmas-decorated sugar cookies with an inch of icing
5) Grow me a flower

Yesterday was out first day back to the mail after being away for a week. I was antsy all morning waiting for the daily-deliverer-of-joy-and junk-mail to make his way down my little street. What might he have for me after being out of town for the first beloved, real week of the Christmas season?? We don't get too much mail down here yet so there was only a small bundle to sort through. At first glance there was nothing but the usual - coupons to Papa Johns, a Pottery Barn magazine, and an application to yet another credit card. But what to my wondering eye should appear....but a card sized envelope or two to bring me good cheer! I LOVE CHRISTMAS CARDS! I love to see how our friends have changed each year. I love to see the holiday stamps that only work this time of year. And I love to think of the time put in to the little piece of paper. You already know I love mail so the combo is just spectacular. Thank you to my Atlanta-in-Savannah friends and new Nashville family for making my first day back from vacation a true joy! I looked at your pictures all day long and they are the first to be added to my basket of cards for the year. I'm just happy to not have a real job these days. What would I do if I had to race home everyday to beat Brad to the mailbox?

Speaking of the B-man. He made the bed this morning before he left for work and without me even knowing. This seems medial but something inside of me just started jumping. I love a freshly made bed and I love that I didn't have to make it this morning. I've walked in the room this morning for no reason every 20 minutes just to make sure it was true. It's true! My bed is made and the room is that much more inviting. What could that boy be up to?

Whatever it is....his son was in on it too! Brooks played in his crib quietly this morning while I pretended like I was still on vacation. Then when I came into greet him he had saved the biggest, toothless grin I had ever seen! What is going on around here? It's not even my birthday!

But if it were my birthday I would be thrilled to receive these again. Oh my, oh my. One of my most favorite ladies in the world sent us a box of holiday sugar cookies iced with an inch of some of the best icing I have put in my mouth. I came in from a pretty challenging work out yesterday morning and happened upon what looked like a shoe ox on our front door. The only thing better than shoes on my doorstep is iced sugar cookies! Without hesitation or consideration for the calories I may have just burned - I ate 2 and maybe a few bites of a third. Iced sugar (absolute favorite) Christmas cookies (favorite season) delivered (I love things delivered.....mail, telegrams - since I get those often, packages, you name it) on my doorstep (another favorite - surprises) is truly one of the quickest ways to my heart and an easy way to truly feel that natural Christmas cheer that I look forward to every year.

To top it all off there is an 8 foot bush looking thing out my back window. Yesterday i noticed a little ball of pink from beneath the heavy limbs. Though it is December it looks like we are about to have a fully blooming flower bush in our back yard! I've never had my own flower bush! And though we are mere renters in this home - it feels like mine. I did pick a few just because I could...like I said, I've never had my very own (sort of) yard to pick my very own (sort of) flowers from our very own bushes. I love fresh flowers especially ones I picked. They are scattered about the house right now and I feel a little pride every time I walk by one as if I had something to do with their existence. Oh, little flower bush. . . you, too, have a key to my heart this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment