Thursday, December 17, 2009

Reindeer Droppings

Eeeewwwww. I love an occasional reindeer on my rooftop but I dont like to think that they leave feces in my yard but like the book says, "everything poops." Well, this morning I have been elbow deep in reindeer droppings and now they are chilling in the fridge waiting to be dipped in chocolate. YUMMY!

Actually, I have a cookie swap here in the neighborhood tonight and I am pretty psyched to have been invited. Unfortunately, I have put way too many things on my to do list this week so yesterday I found myself hyperventilating at the thought that I had 72 cookies to make standing in between me and my first party here in Savannah! I am embarrassed to even share my secrets regarding this SUPER EASY actually, easier than easy recipe but as I can imagine many of you will find yourselves in this same bind in the next week I thought I would pass on this little recipe. Happy early Christmas.

Side note: the actual name of this recipe is often called "Reindeer Balls." I won't comment any further but I am not sure which is less appetizing....reindeer balls or reindeer droppings? I feel funny even writing that word on my blog.

Ingredients
1 package Oreos (full fat kind, can't skimp here)
1 package cream cheese (I have used 1/3 less fat version...and it doesn't work well). Oh, make sure it is softened.
1 package white chocolate or milk chocolate (or both) morsels for melting

Directions
Put on Christmas music.
Pour glass of eggnog (I've had 2). Put baby down for nap if you have a baby.
Place oreos in food processor and process until oreos are crushed (think: consistency of dust). I have to do this in batches.
Dump oreos in large bowl with package of softened cream cheese.
Blend ingredients with hand mixer until mixture starts to clump together and could make a large moist ball. (Ewww)
*You could do this all in the food processor if yours is big enough.)
Roll into 1inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
Place in fridge to harden (up to 2 hours but it doesn't have to be that long)
In the meantime, drink more eggnog and scape the oreo bowl with your fingers - this is the best part!
And, melt chocolate on low heat on stove ( I am sure you could do microwave too)
Dip oreo "spheres" in melted chocolate and place back on cookie sheet.
Place back in fridge or freezer for chocolate to harden.
Enjoy!!! They are rich enough to only need a few bites but small enough to not feel too guilty.
**I'll have to update with a finished project photo later. My second batch is in the fridge. And, Sherri, aka: my cookie monster partner in crime, tell me what you think after you run out today and buy some oreos! I love a kindred spirit when it comes to cookies!

3 comments:

  1. MMMM I just heard of these a couple weeks ago and made for the first time last weekend- A.MAZ.ING. Unbelieveable. How had I never heard of them before?? I prefer White Chocolate Oreo Truffles- sounds glamorous, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny! Can we go on a double date while you're home?!?! Maybe Lee and Brooks could have a double date with a babysitter? Those balls! look nasty but I'm sure they are yumm-o! I am in the kitchen making boyfriends -- aren't we just domestic queens?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so stealing the reindeer sandwiches...adorable! k and b will love them!

    ReplyDelete