Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My 29 year old husband



Today is this guys birthday. I have been looking forward to a post entirely about him for weeks now but as he has self-predicted, the almost one year old trumped his day. Really, he didn't but he is WALKING and that is kind of a big deal. More so, this morning my writing was interrupted 4 times by Brooks showing off and walking into the kitchen and where else without me knowing. Brooks just likes to do things on his dad's birthday so we'll always remember his milestones....smart kid!

Really, though, I love this person to pieces and he - for some reason loves me despite my constant state of pregnancy/hormonal craziness. So, in copying fashion from one of my favorite friends - here are 29 amazing reasons why I love the birthday boy!

1. He is am amazing dresser. Despite sporting a wide array of tight Jordache jeans throughout high school and college he is now probably the best dressed guy I know. I know it is so surfacey- but I've always secretly hoped the person I had to look at everyday new not to wear tapered jeans and nike tennis shoes.
2. His happy face that he doesn't always know he does (Emilie, you know what I am talking about). It is so stinkin cute!
3. The way he provides for the 2.5 of us every single day without complaining and without even getting half the praise and accolades he deserves.
4. He is constant, stable, consistent, steady. That is exactly what the Lord knew I needed.
5. He loves Jesus more than he loves me and Brooks and anything else on this earth.
6. He likes my cooking - even if it is breakfast for dinner for the 3rd time in a week!
7. He drives a big truck. H-O-T!
8. Brad loves spending time with Brooks and doing "man" things and I love to watch.
9. More so, he jumps to help with Brooks whether it's changing a diaper or giving a bath and anything else. What kind of male doesn't have to be asked or prompted or bribed to do these things?
10. He kissed me on our 2nd date.
11. He looks hot in his high school practice shorts from the basketball team.
12. I like it even more when I get to see him play basketball.
13. He is a classic, traditional, kinda guy - raised by an amazing family who taught him to have the strength of a warrior but the tenderness of a woman. He loves his mama and you know what they say about a guy that treats his mama right? MARRY HIM!
14. He doesn't mind my mama (and best friend) and our 6 conversations a day and actually he often likes her more than me!
15. Two words: Cowboy Boots.
16. He is driven, determined and dedicated to whatever the task or goal is....how attractive.
17. He is well spoken and most of all thoughtful with his words. He despises sarcasm and is careful and slow to speak. How admirable!
18. He likes good music. Lady Gaga and Jewel to name a few and to see him "rap" to the latest hip hop song on 95.5 the beat is quite entertaining.
19. He is easy going and doesn't get upset over little things. God knew I needed that kind of husband too.
20. He adores his family and cherishes his background even though his world now is very different. I love a guy that adores his family and his roots.
21. Did I say he looks good in Diesel blue jeans and cowboy boots?
22. He KNOWS above anything that God is sovereign and in control even if it means job changes, surprise pregnancies, and other life obstacles.
23. He likes to rub my head....almost every night (maybe that is just because I have been pregnant for two years and he feels bad so maybe I should stay pregnant? Umm...NO.)
24. He rides bikes with me, roller blades (and is actually really good.....like doing tricks off park benches kinda good), takes me on hikes, and loves to be outside as much as I do. In addition, he is the ONLY guy I have ever seen to be able to go on a fast walk and not look like a girl.
25. Brad is smart. Like one of those really smart people that you would never know is smart because they don't walk around telling everyone how smart he is but he so much smarter than everyone else. You should see the weird books he has read! More so, he has self taught himself alot of stuff that his Forestry degree didn't teach him. I love when he starts to tell me about something that he knows alot about - he gets real excited to talk and has the best details.
26. In the middle of the night when I can't sleep and I ask Brad a question like Brad, what do you think about the oil spill? Or What would we do if a tree fell on the house? or Why is the glove compartment named the glove compartment? - he ALWAYS answers me even though he is fully asleep. He doesn't know have of what we half talked about but I love that he never lets me feel alone.
27. He looks quite sophisticated and intriguing in his glasses.
28. He writes me letters, listens to me whine/complain/cry/worry, takes me to my favorite places to eat, will be seen in a jewelry store or a women's store, tries to dance because he knows I love it, and doesn't mind when I eat his food even if I said I didn't want it.
29. HE IS FINALLY MY SAME AGE AND FOR 8 MORE MONTHS CAN NOT TALK ABOUT HOW I AM OLDER THAN HIM AND FALLING APART!

Happy 29th Birthday, Mr. Brad. I hope you had the most perfect day and that you felt adored by your little guy and me. We are so lucky to have you as our husband/father/leader and best friend. I love you, Brad!

*****
Recap of the birthday celebration: Thanks to Nise, Brooks is fast asleep in Marietta at his spend the night party and Brad and I just enjoyed the longest dinner we've had in years at Kyma in Buckhead. We ate way too much and didn't worry about any diets or getting back to relieve a babysitter. Then we were crazy and went to take a tour of his top floor office with a perfect view of the city. Now we are being old and married and watching South Park - not because we love it but because Brad does and it is his birthday and that is what he wanted so I am going along.

Tomorrow morning we are going to get some breakfast together while Nise is feeding Brooks waffles, pancakes, and probably whipped cream because that is what grandma's do during slumber parties. I am just grateful that I get to enjoy a quiet night and morning and it isn't even my birthday! Thank you Brad, for having a birthday so I can have a shower alone tomorrow and sit in my robe for a little bit all by myself.

Happy Birthday, B-rad. We really are so lucky.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Brad!!! He is the sweetest and I do love his happy face : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, so sweet! I love this, Betsy--Happy Birthday, Brad! And good job on the fast-walking without looking like a girl....impressive! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday to brad, and i couldn't agree more with all of your sweet observations. i laughed out loud thinking about him getting excited about something and wanting to talk. i can picture it in his voice now. glad yall had time away from brooks to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete