Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yet another addiction/obsession/guilty (but helpful) pleasure

I love the grocery store. There, I said it. I love the options, the employees, the colors, the thought that goes behind the placement of certain items (and I love trying not to give into the marketing schemes meaning I love a good challenge). I love the grocery store even more when I go alone. No husband, no baby, just me and the aisles of ideas and cravings and all the time in the world. Lately, I have been making thrice-weekly trips to the grocery store at night while Brad has some man time with the little guy. Brad already thinks that buying Brooks a shopping cart has destined him to be musician or a an artist rather than a jock so he refuses to let him do any more shopping with me - and I gladly cave to his wishes nearly three nights a week.

You would think one that loves to go to the grocery store also loves to cook. One of my favorite friends said it here best. I like to cook. I don't love to cook but I do love to eat. Luckily I also love to work out or else I would seriously have my own TLC show tracking my weight gain and emotional problems that would ensue.

Brad has also always called me a walking vending machine. It's a very accurate nickname. Ne'ery is there time when a husband or a child or a friend doesn't want something to munch on and I don't have a morsel of something in my pocket or stashed in the side of my purse or diaper bag. Really, this is why I decided to have children. My snacking habits are justified in this new stage of life because with a baby you always have to have cheerios or crackers or yogurt covered raisins to satisfy the youngens. And aren't the grocery stores even happier that I made this selfless decision to bare offspring. Now I find my obsession even more compelling and justifiable. "Brad, I have to go to the store right now because Brooks has to have some yogurt in the morning." Yes, Brooks may have 6 other options in the pantry already but something in my brain sends me straight for the nearest (and sometimes the farthest) food store.

And when I get to go on these splendid excursions I truly am one of those people. I walk up and down every aisle. I read labels. I pull out coupons (though I haven't mastered this and somehow always spend more than I had intended when coupons are involved.) I sample the samplings. Heck, i even sample what I am buying before I checkout. Often the conversation at the checkout counter goes like this...."Oh, yes, I opened those, too. Babies hungry. Gotta snack!" Without fail the clerk acknowledges the belly and says she doesn't blame me. Poor poor unborn child! Everything is blamed on him already! He never makes me hungry. In fact, I haven't really felt a pinge of hunger since I was nursing Brooks and that has been months now but without fail I blame my constant need to snack or shop or eat or sample on poor little Bingo - the unnamed, unborn child.

Anyway, I love to talk to the checkout clerks. I love it when they ring up a product that I have selected and they've never seen it before. What are the chances? This makes me feel like a true professional. I love knowing exactly where things are in my few favorite stores....as if the whole place were set up just for me! I love the rare occasion when I bring my own "green" bag. I feel so savvy when that one green bag is the only one filled as well - how self-controlled am I? How resourceful? How completely un-needy am I to only need one bag???? But in the same sentence I can say I also love love love (the way lady GaGa would say it) to do one of those all out - makeover- restock the cabinets type of shopping trip. No amount of money is taken into consideration - just the goal at hand - stock up and don't forget anything....especially ketchup. I always seem to forget ketchup and then what do you know - I have to go back the next day!

So there you have it - a true confession from a sincere addict. I can atleast guarantee you that I have tried just about every single product out there and many of them - only once. There's got to be some good to that kind of knowledge, right? I can also guarantee you my babies will never be hungry! Happy shopping, folks!

3 comments:

  1. Um, can you come be my personal grocery shopper? Because I hate it, probably as much as you love it. We're a good pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grocery store was my social activity. I ran into all the neighbors and would also have a coke and reeses peanut butter cup all by myself.. I didn't have to share . It was "heaven".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree...I could spend hours there!

    ReplyDelete