Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy 29th and 2nd Fathers Day to the dad's in our lives!

It's only 11am and we have already celebrated my dad with a low country boil with the WHOLE family (big deal around here) and some family game time (which is always entertaining). More so, we have enjoyed a morning of quiet as Mr. Brooks stayed quietly in his bed until nearly 8:30 - Brad says this was the best Father's Day gift he could imagine and we have had an inaugural-Dad's day walk around the neighborhood...this was Brad's idea - not mine! At this rate, we will all be in bed by 7:30 tonight but it is all worth it....to have two men in my life who are wonderful examples of daddy's to me and Brooks!

So, no sappy post here but rather, a few of my favorite memories from years past.....

This Father


made me the most happy on my wedding day nearly 3 years ago when he told me how proud he was that I was marrying such an honorable man. I couldn't look at him at all during his toast the night of the rehearsal because I think I knew how he felt and I also knew that if he tried to express it we'd both just end up a teary mess. He held it together more than I but I will never ever forget the way he made me feel on that special day. Maybe he was just happy to finally have me off the payroll but I am pretty sure it was much more than that! What a perfect memory!

This same man also made my childhood sublime. I guess I consider childhood as the years we lived in Tampa, Florida until I was almost 11. Every weekend was spent learning to fish on the boat or enjoying a pic-nic on a secluded island that only boaters could access. On the rare weekend we weren't out fishing on Tampa Bay we were exploring the many theme parks in Orlando. I can't even count the trips to Sea World and Disney World in our 5 years of living in Florida. My dad would get us all in the Spaceship Earth (you know, the Epcot Ball) and he could repeat every word the commentator would say through out the ride. I have yet to go back to Disney and at times I don't think I want to because I have such a magical feeling from our many many trips as a family almost 20 years ago. I'm afraid everything wouldn't be as big or as bright but I do hope to one day give the same experience to our kiddos. Though I just can't comprehend how my dad was able to give us such sweet childhood memories, maintain a more than 35 year marriage and work a very demanding job....and there were 4 of us, not 2! Kudos to you daddy....

And that very same man also is an amazing "Big". That's right, after only a year of filling the role as a grandad he seems to have it down. I can only imagine the fun the boys will have chasing "Big" on the golf course or better yet, trying to run over him in a game of basketball (because in his mid-50's he still plays EVERY Sunday!) I love whenever I am at the house and Big and Brooks sneak away outside for some man time. I am not sure what they talk about but Brooks seems to come back more confident and happy after each trip.

Now on to this dad......



Wow, I really couldn't begin to write a sweet post about how much I have enjoyed watching you become a father. I am so humbled when I think about the example you have set in only a year. This dad is patient, thoughtful, selfless, generous, and never complains about all that is on his plate right now. Most of all, he is easy going and he makes loving him very easy. I never knew I could feel so proud to hear the little man exclaim "da-da-da-da" every afternoon when Brad comes in the door. He claps his hands, opens his arms and gives a little shreak before clumsily running over to Brad's knees. I could replay this scene over and over again all day long and it would never get old and never stop making me smile. I love watching the boys bond in their own-very-non-mommy-bonding way.....they wrestle on the bed before bath time and it is my 2nd favorite time of each day. Then, Brooks gets his daddy's full attention everyinight when he sings him songs on the way up to bed and prays with him. Brad always comes down several minutes later than what I would expect and he is always secretive about the conversations they had before bed. It excites me to get to watch Brad be a dad to two boys this year! If only they can watch him and take note of the way he treats people, stress, difficult situations, and a cold beer or two - and they will truly be what a classic gentleman should be. Brad, these two boys are so lucky to have you to look up to. I know the responsibility seems great at times but I can already see the reward is far greater.

My favorite memories with you include our countless walks around Historic Brookhaven sometimes with tears, sometimes with ice cream, most times with a furry dog, sometimes with a baby and sometimes with a baby and a baby growing. I love this time to get to talk and dream together and I hope no matter how many little people come our way that we always will make the time to dream together and to pursue eachother. I do believe that the best thing you can give your kiddos as a father, is a solid relationship with your wife. It is so rare these days for kids to have a selfless partnership in marriage to look up to.

P.S. - I am happy to say that you are officially my favorite person to walk with! Not many people join these ranks as I have been known to burn some wholes in some shoes on a leisurely walk but you truly are the only man I know that can make power-walking look so dang good!

Happy Father's Day, daddy, and Brad!

1 comment: