Monday, June 28, 2010

I'll take a cup of those, please

If you've journeyed along side of us for even a short amount of time you will know my obsession, no infatuation, no.....about my "disease" called Mochi-itis. It began last year on one of our many walks from the condo down Peachtree to wherever our hearts would lead. 9 times out of 10 it lead us to the hip fro-yo shop at the Terminus building. Who doesn't love to exercise their way to the ice-cream store? This fascination grew for the little heavenly mochi pieces that typically adorn a heaping bowl of yogurt but unfortunately our 6 month stint in Savannah left us craving our favorite little snack nightly. For such a touristy town, you would expect fro-you shops on every corner but we weren't able to find one that carried our beloved topping. Alas, we move back to our home sweet home and we have waited for nearly 4 months now for Yoforia to open around the corner. I have driven by everyday noting the progress of the build and for the longest while there was little to no activity. All of a sudden on my daily drive by Friday I notice several cute little girls in bright green shirts waving passer-bys and stalkers like myself into the newly-wide-open doors! Hooooooraaaaay! I partly wanted to boycott the local establishment because they had kept me in such agony for so long....taunting me with news of their opening and then worse, hanging a gleaming sign with no indication of an opening day. But I am not that stubborn. At the end of the day - mochi always wins.

So the good and bad news is that this little gem of a store on Dresden Road is S-E-L-F-S-E-R-V-I-C-E. Say it out loud, people.....SELF SERVICE! Oh goodness, I LOVE the control this puts in my little yogurt craving hands. I love to spoon my own toppings and if I want I love to add just 2 M$M's.....just because I can! So my new haven opened Friday and, yes, we have been thrice. One of my trips I did the unthinkable. I pretty much got a cup of mochi with a topping of yogurt. I hope the bright green colored workers notice my beach ball of a belly when ringing up my crazy concoction. I am sure, were I not 33 weeks pregnant that I wouldn't so boldly steal half of the mochi from the topping bar but you just don't mess with a waddling lady and her attached-to-her-leg-one-year-old.

I would love to tell you about the rest of the weekend because as it is one of our last few unbooked weekends as a family of 3 - it really was quite splendid. But as I said earlier, the mochi has taken over and that is the only memory that prevails from the weekend. Now I am sitting here trying to plot my next journey. Maybe I should walk the mile this time and partake in my little indulgence. Then it's a wash, right? Or maybe we could have a yogurt lunch today? I'll add some strawberries and mango for a little nutrients for the little growing one inside. Perfect. Done.

A few other things we have been up to this past week aside from turning into a big, plump mochi ball......
1) Brooks visited with his first love, Ella. She was wooed by Brooks' wheels and not by his moves. If we could have sent the Crazy Coupe back to Nantucket with her - we would have......she loved it much more than seeing her (much shorter)predestined boyfriend.

2) We also had a fun time playing with our buddy, Caleb, twice this past week! Caleb is three weeks older but he reminds me of Brooks' older mentor.....always learning, always on the go, always exploring. I love seeing these two together because their personalities are so different but they love to play and swim together! (P.S. - grandmas.....Brooks has asked for a Radio Flyer wagon with a canopy ever since this inaugural ride in Caleb's-caddy)

3) Friday night we went to a neighborhood pool with our precious neighbors and their THREE girls! I feel a little dorky telling you it was the most fun I have had in a long time. It was everything a Friday night should be....laid back, full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cold adult drinks for those not a big as a house (which was only me), and fun conversation with an adorable family! I'd never thought about how fun it would be to have neighbors that you love and that are in the same stage of life as you. Every night when their three girls are down and Brooks is finally quiet we seem to meet in the street to throw the ball to our first children, the dogs. I hope they don't think I am stalking them but I really look forward to this adult time every night!

4)We had dinner with many of our favorite friends this last weekend....and of course we went to get yogurt afterwards.....duh!

5)Oh, and how could I forget - I bought a 3 X 3 foot piece of cheese on wheels.

The end.

Yes, the above picture was my find at a local garage sale and i can't tell you the pride I feel even today over my not-so-little "find." Yes, we are supposed to be cleaning out and making room for a baby but how could I not bring this thing home? There were 8 people waiting in a line to see if I would actually pick up my purchase, just hoping they may be able to get their hands on it for their little ones at home. Nope. I don't care if I ever go to a garage sale again.....this was the coolest (atleast in this moment) garage sale item that has ever graced a garage sale and I feel like the winner that I am for finding this one of a kind school bus. Amos is scared of it, Brad thinks I am nuts, and Brooks likes to climb on it like a chair but I KNOW there will come a day when my whole family will thank me for being so frugal and so thoughtful as I roam the streets of Buckhead on my Saturday mornings just looking for things to clutter our house. Your welcome, family.

3 comments:

  1. It wasn't JUST his wheels...remember she was rubbing his head at one point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been twice already...we will go ANY time this weekend...for the children's sake, of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent 4 hours Saturday in East Cobb and Vinings at garage sales. "I'm saving us $$, I tell husband". His reply "by spending it and cluttering our house." Whatever, like your boys, he'll come to understand. Plus, it totally meets my need to shop in a fiscally responsible way! Love the pic of Ella and Brooks. Precious babies!

    ReplyDelete