Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stay-cation

Brooks and I have taken an impromptu leave of absence for a few days to grandma-Nise's house. The activities have included trips to the pond to feed the ducks, long baths, a trip to the grocery store to buy things I normally don't buy at home, walks around the neighborhood during sunset, a trip to the pool (later today), being treated to good food, and, a sewing lesson or two. That's right - the theme of this stay-cation is "teach my mama to sew." Really, I am sure I could have figured out how to sew a button but when mama asked if I wanted to come over to learn to sew buttons on the 10 outfits of Brooks that have lost buttons - I took her up on it {knowing that would mean I would watch and she would sew.} It's not that I can't sew - it just doesn't interest me the way counting bottle caps, watching paint dry or other more interesting activities do.

So last night we {she} sewed buttons and {I} ate ice cream and that is what I call a pretty relaxing vacation. Brooks got his back rubbed for nearly 30 minutes before bed and I am sure that is what he calls a vacation, too!

I decided yesterday I wouldn't feel guilty about my lack of anything to do for the next several weeks. Of course there are things to do to prepare for this baby but the nesting instinct is far far away this time but I am sure it will come kicking and screaming in a few weeks and then I will busy myself. For today, Brooks and I are going to enjoy each other and the weather and a pool and our last few months of eating for two and any attention anyone wants to give us. And if the only thing we had to do that day is walk to the mailbox - I am not going to feel bad! Thank you, God, for the monotony of a lazy summer day. I feel like I am home from college for the summer but come August I have to get back to the studying - aka; 12 diaper a day, 10 feedings a day routine!

I've even turned the ringer on the phone off for our time away and it sure does help us to feel like we are on island time! Cheers to the laziest summer I can have with a one year old around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment