Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pray not to miss THIS!

Last year I told you about one of my favorite friends and moms who gave me some of the best advise regarding motherhood that I have heard. She told me what an experienced mom and friend had told her. Pray not to miss it, she told me. Pray at night when I was up feeding all alone in the early days to not miss the sweetness of a hungry newborn that can only be nurtured by his mother. Pray, in the wee hours of the morning when the little one decides to start the day early, not to miss the play time in our pajamas as the sun come up. And, yesterday I found myself praying not to miss this sweet and fading time with just Brooks. Trust me, there are many times throughout the day that I dream about the free time I used to have to do exactly as I pleased. Goodness, what in the world did I do with my time? What did I think about in the car when I wasn't singing songs about frogs and farm animals to a one year old? But yesterday was one of those perfect mommy-baby days where somehow I was truly able to be in the moment and soak in our precious time together...just the two of us.
Brooks and I ventured to the duck pond behind Christ the King Cathedral on Peachtree. We chased the ducks. I chased Brooks who just wanted to swim with the ducks and then we waved goodbye for about 12 minutes since this is the little man's latest trick. Dear God, help me not to miss this moment as Brooks reaches up for my hand without looking...knowing that my hand is there when he needs it to get through his wobbly steps. Allow me to be fully present right here in the 96 degree weather with a stomach that I can't see over. Seriously, God, help me to capture this moment and stow it away.





After a short nap Brooks took me on a date to Chastain Park for the Chastain Chill. Every Tuesday afternoon in the summer a one man band plays great tunes and we were one of several mommy-kiddo pairs that packed our pic-nic yesterday and enjoyed the park, a lurking thunder shower, and some easy summer tunes. At one point (after stealing another 14 month olds goldfish and sippy cup) Brooks climbed into my lap and grabbed my hand and started playing with my fingers unknowingly as we listened to a little Eagles tune on the guitar. Oh God, please allow me to be fully present in this exact moment. Block my mind from going anywhere else but right here, with Brooks, and no phone, and nobody else.

(I'll never get tired of these hints of curls in the back of Brooks' hair. The poor boy can't walk from the house to the car without turning red from the heat and losing any sort of structure to his hair. I love a hot and happy little boy!)


(The best photo you can get when you are on a date with a one year old)

God who loves me so much more than I can begin to comprehend (and this is so evidenced by this sweet time with Brooks and this disguised gift of a new baby on the way) please help me to remember exactly what Brooks sounded like the 20 minutes or so before his afternoon nap. He has been babbling to himself now for nearly 30 minutes but I know that is his way of easing into sleep. Oh gosh, how I adore those little boy sounds all in a row. People have said that Brooks is reserved and cautious. I can see that but he certainly has his moments and I love that they are when he is all alone, happy from the day, and ready for a little relaxation. I really don't care if he never falls asleep when I get to sit downstairs and hear the little man talk through his thoughts from the day.

Lastly, how I pray that I won't ever miss the perfect taste of my daily half sweet-half unsweet, $1.08 iced tea with lemon from Micky D's. Husband, it isn't my ebay habits you need to fret over. It is my daily indulgence. And I wonder why this baby moves all night long???? It's called LARGE TEA, mama! Oh yes, back to the blog at hand....God, I pray that I don't miss even those somersaults that Brooks' brother does all night long. Literally....all night long. (Oh don't worry little baby.....I won't ever forget this behavior and you certainly do not give me time to miss these movements. Thank you.)

4 comments:

  1. I read that on your blog awhile back and remind myself of this daily! Even when I'm beat or frustrated with something I don't want to forget or miss this time! Thanks for the reminder today:)

    Hope you're feeling well and getting some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I sit here, waiting on these contractions to get a little closer together, waiting, not so patiently to meet my babe, this blog spoke right to my heart. Thank you Betsy- for the inspiration my crampy, cranky self needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to comment on your blog for awhile now. I found it through Caroline O's. C and I grew up together in Montgomery. I saw her in April at our high school reunion and confessed that I loved her friends blog (you). She told me that I must comment on it and then I forgot!!! Oh well- I'm commenting now right :) I do love your blog though and the way you write. You are so transparent and it is refreshing! Best wishes in the coming months welcoming number 2. Your little Brooks is precious and I know he will make a great big brother!

    Amanda Owens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love last photo...amazing. I can totally relate to those moments when you are like "I want to remember every detail of this always..."

    ReplyDelete