Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And then the bottom fell out of the sky

Today felt like a day for playing house. If not just to entertain me for what looked to be yet another day inside these walls (yesterday we were without a car for the day) - then for the pleasure it might bring the mister, excuse me "master" of the house. He praised us last week for the clean house and the Christmas scent that he came home to and therefore, we (Brooks and I) are quite enticed to keep up the good behavior this week. It's amazing how far a little genuine praise can go?
Back to today.....The forecast had called for an 80% chance of rain today which if you ask me the word "chance" shouldn't follow "80%". All day today I have been wondering just what my new weather man was talking about. ...It's been mostly sunny with a chance of meatballs if anything...no chance of rain! Until 3 minutes ago when I thought the neighboring ocean had picked itself up and then released itself in our back yard. It's crazy to have water on two sides of your house and watch it rise and whip around when weather like this occurs. Anyway, I am glad the rain named Ida did come as I have sequestered myself and the little person in the house all day in order to do rainy day things and I would have hated to have wasted a day inside with no rain.

I'll admit, after a day like today I actually feel worth my $134k that this job claims to pay. After wearing Brooks out for 3 straight days he finally remembered what it felt like to take a nap. So while he napped this afternoon I earned my keep. I've made Brad some chili - perfect for a rainy night. I've made my in-laws (who we hope will be our first overnight visitors this weekend) and anyone else who cares to stop by some of Charlsie's cookies. She makes them better than I do but I love to make an attempt to come close to her cookies about once every other month. And finally, I did in fact make Brooks some green beans, carrots, and sweet potatoes (thanks, Emilie, for sharing!).

Chili looks a little more appetizing than the green bean cocktail (yes,pureed in my blender typically used for margaritas)?

This was truly fun today! I whistled while I worked, wore a cute apron, and enjoyed using my plentiful counter space and all of my fun kitchen tools. But.....I can't always promise I'll love this monster I've created. Now that I've made the first batch of baby food will I place unnecessary guilt on myself if I ever have to buy a jar of Gerber? Sure I will....you know me! And just so you don't feel bad about yourself - consider my scenario. I live on an island. I don't have a real job to go to everyday. I get lost every time I get in my car. I don't know anyone better than I know the mailman so - you can conclude that in this season of life I should get off my booty and make my own baby food. Now, were our days to look even a smidgen like they did in our capitol city - I probably wouldn't have considered this little venture. (Side story - I got to take Brad to work this morning and as Brooks was coughing in his seat Brad asked if there was anything I could give him. I told him there was but I usually choose to not give him medicine right away. I'm not sure where this came from either as Dimatap was one of the 4 food groups when I grew up. Anyway, he continued to joke with Brooks the whole way to work...."Tough it out Brooks. I'm sorry you are having your leg amputated - no drugs for you! Awww, Brooks, you have a cavity, just learn how to focus your breathing- we don't use medicine around here." Isn't Brad quite the jokester?)

Like I said....we'll see how long this adventure lasts but for today I enjoyed playing a little Martha Stewart in the rain! What to do tomorrow if the rain looks to stay???? And what to do if you just realized that your recipe calls for baking soda and baking powder (don't they do the same thing?) and you only have the latter...and its monsooning outside...and you don't know your neighbors enough to ask a neighborly favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment