Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What we want to tell you today

{First, note that I often say "we." No, I'm the only one who is actually here typing but I live in a make believe world and in my make believe world this blog is a cohesive effort between me and the Mister of this house. If I were to come down from la la land I would admit that I don't even know if he reads this thing much less - collaborate. Anyway, the person I am has been molded by him a little so therefore he is included in my "we" when we write. Okay, no more explanations.}

2 of the 4 of us are not contagious says the doctor but we don't feel well. I am embarrassed to even say this because this is the 2nd episode of the "crud" as I like to call it - in 4 weeks! Embarrassing! Where did my little immunities go? Luckily, the little person seems to be about done with his crud so now he is taking care of me by waking me up in the middle of the night to check on me. So sweet already......
***
Warning - put down your breakfast before you read.
I spoke too soon. I did not earn my keep by merely making baby food on a rainy Tuesday. Today in the span of 8 minutes I fully earned my worth and I learned my lesson. Making the baby food is the easy part. Cleaning up the baby food is for professionals only. I have now scoured the internet trying to find someone to hire out for the job of cleaning up the baby food. Friends had told me that the consistency of a solid food diaper is drastically different than the sweet, innocent, #2 diapers of my previously sweet, innocent baby. I rolled my eyes and didn't think the little 18-pounder could really do enough in that body of his to produce anything more than the diapers we had experienced. I stand corrected. 18 pound-green bean-eating-humans stink and they are gross and there are no words that can describe our 8 minutes of horridness this morning. Let's just say I caught the mess before it creeped into his little baby hairs at the nape of his neck and he was immediately given a morning bath in order to be "destunk" from his mess. I am having to gear myself up for our next episode of green beans and apples in the pants!
***
There is an art fair at the marina this Saturday. I don't care if they are selling puff painted sweatshirts made by 7 year olds - we are going! I think it is quite splendid to get to walk to a marina (we didn't have one of those around the corner from us in Atlanta) in order to sip some local coffee and view art by local artists! Brad and I have wanted to purchase a painting while in Savannah that we can always have in our home no matter where we live. Hopefully, we can find something that we (seriously, "we" this time) agree on for our purchase. I insist on walking to the event so that means we'll be walking home with our treasure too. Had we a golf cart like most of our neighbors I may take the gold cart but absolutely no driving! Why am I so funny about this? I miss being able to walk places like we did when we lived on Peachtree so whether or not it is the smartest thing - I want to walk to the art fair. I like the idea of it and it makes a good story and that is how I make my decisions - will it make a good story? Watch it rain now.
***
Lastnight the 3 of us did something we haven't had to do in a very long time. I was invigorated as we drove the 2 blocks to the dinner party. I wasn't sure if we were busting someones birthday dinner of if the hosts even knew we were coming but we went anyway and I am glad we did. There were 7 couples, 8 babies, 2 babies on the way, and some amazing hamburgers. Brooks was the first baby to fall apart when he missed his bed time so unfortunately, we were the first to leave but nonetheless, it was really fun to actually walk into a room and not know but the one person who asked that we join her friends for a dinner in the neighborhood. Honestly, I have heard that this island is full of young people but until last night I would have called you a liar had you told me of these young people. Our first month here I have met every 80+ year old in Savannah because they all live here - right around me but I had yet to meet the youngsters. I was amazed last night to be surrounded by 6 other couples who all lived in a quarter mile vicinity. Brad and I had fun being the new people, too! I told them I was originally a blonde and that my mom is a famous country singer. Kidding. We didn't lie about too many things - just enough to make them like us. Kidding again. I really did have a great time last night and I was so grateful for the invitation. Am I allowed to say we might actually have friends on the island now after just 90 minutes over dinner? That's enough for me.....we have friends here!
***
Off to finish cleaning up the baby mess.......

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your new friends and wish I lived 1/2 mile from you, although I'd be lying if I said I wanted to help you clean up the green bean machine.

    I miss you, I need to you help me put my life together. There are all these little pieces that keep getting lost in cracks in the floorboards of my house and flying away on international airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bets, just wait till he starts eating meat!! Yum, Yum!! Talk about stinky diapers!

    ReplyDelete