Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful for laughter

The little person and I both had one of those good belly laughs today. We had the kind of unrestricted chuckle that sort of comes from nowhere but once it's out it feels so good all over your body. The best part is that we actually got a double-doozie today (oh, what I'd do for a real double-doozie!) and it was completely unexpected. Brooks went to see Dr. Stone today for his 6 month appointment. He really likes going to see the doctor. He turns into quite the ladies man the moment he sees the happy women in their cute nurse attire. They hold him and flirt with him and make him feel like he is the only baby who has ever walked through their doors. I mean, they really like babies...like they don't seem to be pretending because they work at a pediatric office. Well, you may or may not know that with the 6 month appointment comes another heavy dose of vaccines. We can talk about our feelings about vaccines on another blog. It is truly torture to have to hold your little one as he gets jabbed in the legs but atleast at our pediatrician they make it as painless as possible. Lynn, the nurse came in and played with Brooks for probably 10 minutes before she actually began to explain what was about to happen. By that point Brooks was fixated on Lynn, the happy nurse. Immediately after she had administered the 3 shots in his thankfully chubby thighs she began blowing bubbles and laughing hysterically. You know what, Brooks began to laugh hysterically too - and so did I! She wasn't having to tickle him or anything she was just dancing around and blowing bubbles and Brooks and I left thinking shots were the coolest thing ever. I enjoyed laughing at Brooks as he belly laughed out loud.

We got home just in time to feed Brooks. As I was feeding him I was doing what every good mother should do. As I was starting the DVR to catch the beginning of the Ellen show Brooks looked up to see me smile and he began to smile. Well it was all over from there...Ellen played a new game on her show today called blindfolded musical chairs. The 5 women were blindfolded and when the music came on they had to each dance in a certain style - salsa, disco, ballet, etc. Then like the game goes - when the music went off the ladies had to find a chair. Oh my stinkin goodness. I think I literally wet my pants and so did Brooks. I hope I can find this later to post it because for some reason it was so amusing. So I am giggling with no reservation and Brooks, distracted from eating, is laughing at me laughing. I am convinced laughter is truly the best medicine for a gray day or really any day and I am thankful for the opportunity to giggle with the little guy all day long.

And in case you are on the edge of your seat wondering just how big the little guy now measures....he is 18 lbs and 14 ounces and I don't remember the height but he is in the 88% range. Bottom line - he is a beast. I am just glad his height is starting to catch up with his weight! Hopefully he's going to be tall like his Pops (my dad)!

No comments:

Post a Comment