Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday, snow, soup, scars, sleep and 30

I have written 4 different posts this week and saved each of them before finishing. They were each equally as earth shattering and equally as difficult to finish given the state of the house this week. As you could guess, the state of the house has been shaky at best. Here are the ailments that I have heard this week from either myself or one of the boys - sleepy, moody, queasy, bored, achy, whiny, exhausted, and needy...if that counts as one. The only person who really had anything to complain about was the infant who unfortunately had to spend a night at the Children's hospital this week. The rest of the stuff going on happened to actually make the hospital stay a retreat for me and the little guy!

So, in no certain order - here are my thoughts on a Sunday night.
1) Marriage and offspring have allowed Sunday to move close to first place of my favorite day of the week. In college and after I hated a drowsy Sunday. The weather always seemed gross and everyone always seemed too tired or too hungover to do any of my favorite things with me. But now I have come to love Sundays. I love eating an early supper because it just feels "okay" on a Sunday. I love spending the time with Brad and the boys around the house and I love eating a big Sunday breakfast. Of course most of my joy evolves around food. Well with the Holidays just behind us Sundays have been hectic lately - consisting of travel and tedious house projects all aimed to simplify our living space that seems to have been invaded by mini-people. Today was right on par with the last several Sundays....a late arrival to church followed by a fairly crazy day of cleaning and organizing. But now we are finally still. The boys have been asleep for hours, the floors have never been so clean, the toys are hidden, and everything (atleast on the first floor) is in it's own place. Ahhh....I love Sunday's again and I am looking forward to the bland-normalcy of our usual Sunday to return this winter.

2) We bought a sled yesterday before the rest of Atlanta thought to buy one. I am pretty sure that because we bought the sled and I actually bought bottled water in case we can't shower or something - it probably won't snow at all. You see, Brad and I have some how missed every single "good" snow here in the capital city so we have decided we will chase the snow wherever it will be. But for now, we are waiting and watching to see what old man winter might bring. Side note - as cool as it may be to have a snow day and get off work or get off from school, the actual thought of having a snow day with two people who can't do anything for themselves makes me a little queasy..per the above. We certainly don't own any type of clothing that will make playing in the snow fun and I don't see Brooks being a part of us dressing in trash bags in order to go outside. More so, if this so called snow locks us in doors - as prisoners in our own home - I hope it doesn't last more than half a day. After that you can find me somewhere in a car, stuck in the snow, far far far away.

3) Shouldn't I have already made the yummy soup that we are planning to eat during the great snow in? All I have thought about all day is how perfect it would be to eat soup tomorrow in the cold but then I have also heard that if it rains/snows more than 2 hours here our power WILL for sure go out. Will we resolve to cook soup over a fire? Now that could be interesting...

4) So William has a tiny scar under his eye. Every time I look at it I love him a little more and I pity him a little more, too. He is just so pleasant and so innocent. It is crazy to think that in the 14 months that separate the two boys is enough to turn an innocent baby in to a tornado-toddler! Anyway, William got a little booboo above his eye by accident this week. I was away so after I had a neighbor assess the damage that had sounded like William's head fell off - I met Brad at the hospital with our precious boy. Thank goodness, the little guy has a big, fat, tough head and he came away with minor bleeding on his brain - enough to keep us in the hospital but not enough for anything more. It was one long night of worry, prayer, and ultimately smiles as we learned all would soon be okay with our sweet little guy. This little trip to the ER did alot for us. I will write more about it later but it was a huge event for our family. We realized that we are not invincible and neither are our children. Things can change in an instant. Luckily, our outcome was bubblegum and gum drops but it could not have been and I know it won't always be. My heart has been so grateful this week for the Lord's protection of our family.

5) Yesterday morning we WOKE the boys up at 9:45 in the morning. I'm not kidding. This has NEVER happened in the last 20 months. At first I thought our sitter from the night before had taken them home with her when she left Friday night. Don't shake a finger at me - we did eventually check on them but goodness, the quiet morning was exactly what I needed this hectic week! I know it's not admirable to wish your children to sleep their life away but let's be honest - they are just so darn sweet and faultless when they are snoozing. I think I would be just fine if babies woke up close to 10 everyday and went back down for a nap at 1 and then down for bed at 7. Yes, I am grateful that William's sweet head was protected from long-term damage but I think my heart is just as grateful for my unexpected morning with Brad yesterday.

6) I turn 30 on Saturday. For real. I just saw 4 gray hairs. My knees don't bend that well but despite all of the aging that is about to catch up with me I am ready for my new decade! 5 more days of youth as my mama has reminded me.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet Bets! I am so so sorry I didnt know about William's visit to the ER! :( I know how very scary that experience can be and I am so sorry you had to go through that! But I am equally as glad he is OK! PTL! Love you to the moon and back and cant wait to catch up soon! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2011 Bets! I miss you. Thinking of all my dear Atlanta friends as I hear all about the snow, so I hope you and the kiddos can have some fun. I also praise God for His protection of Williams, sounds scary but like you learned a great deal. Just wanted to say hi, think of you often. Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete