Sunday, December 21, 2008

I love surprises! My husband and my mama.....

spent Saturday morning in bed.

This is what mama said to me as she was later explaining the planning of their biggest of surprises. This is just what every daughter longs to hear I am sure.

You see I headed out to start my most usual and most favorite of Saturday mornings. A Pilate's class at 10 and kickboxing at 11. I'll watch umpteen hours of football or help repair a car or clean toilets or go sit in a deer stand all day with my hubby as long as I first get to do my favorite of Saturday routines. I know...I should give unconditionally and on many things I do but rarely do I give in on my Saturday rituals and if I do Brad says he always has regrets. Even though my belly is growing and my body is getting soft everywhere I still like to try to kick and punch my way to increased endorphins on my Saturdays.
Brad was extra anxious this particular Saturday to get me out of the house. Usually, B-rad pulls at my t-shirt to get me to stay just a little longer and soak in the lack of routine on the weekends but as I mentioned I rarely budge. Not this morning. Brad was up and at 'em and tying his tennie's like he has somewhere to be. This is when my suspicion began. Brad loves nothing to do on Saturday as much as I love hitting the gym. He said he may be home by lunch and gave no further details. This was clue number uno for me. Brad rarely leaves me guessing especially when it comes to his whereabouts. Maybe it is that we are still newlyweds but Brad and I do not suffer in the communication column...if anything maybe we over communicate. Last month I had nearly $200 of cell phone overages. When I did my inquiry to find the problem for this unwanted surprise I saw that Brad and I used 852 minutes last month just talking to each other and that doesn't include the hundreds of text messages. And we LIVE TOGETHER!!! Ultimately, this lead to Brad getting a new blackberry as we figured it was time to be on the same network since our last names our the same. Anywho, this morning Brad left me hangin.
So on my usual way out the door I rang mama as I usually do. If there is another person that maybe I talk too much too though I would never dare admitting that - it's my mama. Luckily, we can make unlimited calls to each other...anytime - anywhere, baby! Well, mama had planned to meet me later to look over baby clothes at a friends "baby clothes" party (I didn't know in my pre-pregnancy days that they had these). Mama was extra quick on the phone this morning and with little explanation said she probably wouldn't meet me later.
I sort of start to add up all the weird behaviors of the morning but luckily I was late to Pilate's and quickly jumped into my Series of 5 and soon forgot about Brad and mama's where abouts.

After about 800 calories spent and the little endorphins dancing all through my head I headed home but was stopped by hubby who says I have to call first. WHAT??? Then I get a fun text saying there are surprises for me at home. I really didn't want to start guessing about these surprises because the truth is.....I LOVE surprises but I can NEVER be surprised. I was going to let Brad have this one...mostly for my own enjoyment. I did have a thought or two though that started to get me nervous. What if Brad went and bought my 4 new tires that the Explorer needs? I am not sure how this would have gone over and I didn't even want to think it through. Knowing that we are on a tight budget right now I then thought maybe my "surprise" was a clean guest bedroom and a freshly vacuumed floor. I was okay with that but trust me - I was expecting nothing more. Expect little and then be surprised much, right?

As the elevator door opens to our floor I run into Mr. Brad stuffing some sort of large trash down the trash chute. He runs ahead of me and comes back out the door with a scarf. He ties the scar around my eyes and asks me to trust him. I am never good when someone says that....I am fairly independent especially when it comes to my body and my sight - I like to rely on no one! As we walk through the door Brad turns me into the guest bedroom slash office slash soon to be nursery slash storage room. Who knows what he could have been storing away in this room? All of a sudden I run into a plush wall or something and I rebound back. I pull off my blindfold and see a beautiful KING size mattress leaning against the wall. WHAT??? OH MY GOODNESS??? AGGHHHH!!!! NO MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? These were just some of the emotions taking over my body. Apparently mama and Brad had been conspiring all morning to go try out mattresses to put an end to my nights of no sleep. Go ahead and pity Brad but the truth is I can't sleep if Brad even breathes heavy in bed. I need complete silence and complete stillness. No squeaks, no deep breaths, no creepy toes touching my leg....nothing. Don't worry - I cuddle too but the rule is cuddle and divide. Now in our new bed we can do mattress angels and still not touch eachother! Oh, this is such a dream come true and such a perfect early Christmas surprise from mama and daddy. I told her she was just wanting to protect my marriage and the hope of more grand children as I think she thought soon enough I'd be sleeping in my own room if another elbow hit me or wondering toe woke me up. So mama and Brad spent the whole morning in bed they say. They found the perfect mattress and more so, pulled off the perfect surprise.

Off to a splendid night in my new bed with my cute husband and a good foot of space in between! Sweet sweet dreams.....

No comments:

Post a Comment