Friday, December 19, 2008

On the 4th day of Christmas...


My mother gave to me.....4 rolls of cookie dough, 3 extra pounds, 2 tired legs and really really fun memory!

Mama and lil sis and I have picked up an old tradition. Of course, my rose colored goggles remembers us doing this every week before every Christmas but I am quickly reminded that it's been a while since we spent a day baking with the mother hen. And she is just that in the kitchen! You see, she doesn't normally like me in the kitchen. She has always fed a family of 6 every meal for 27 plus years. She easily entertains a crowd of 10 or a crowd of 75. The one rule we all know though is to not linger around the kitchen 'til she is ready. So, a day of cooking was certainly a stretch on sweet mama's patience. Maybe it was the Christmas tunes in the background and the perfect smell of Christmas in their home but mama was especially calm through this cooking experience.
Mamas' mama aptly named mawmaw had originated this perfect pinwheel cookie recipe. Maybe it is because I grew up nibbling on these things around Christmas time or my baby's recent love for chocolate but I love these perfect wheels of chocolate and orange flavored shortbread! I have now had about 3 after every meal. Yikes! I am sure my doctors appointment on Tuesday will confirm some weight gain and I don't think it has anything to do with a baby! Needless to say, mama handled the chocolate filling while I tackled much of the yummy cookie dough. Mary....well, she was mostly moral support but that is necessary when you spend 4+ hours in the kitchen just preparing the dough...not including baking time.
Anyway, I had such a fun day in the kitchen with sweet mama and ML. We talked over babies and colleges and marriage and Christmas traditions. We had flour everywhere and ML looked especially stunning in her apron (see picture). I am just happy we brought back an old family tradition (or started a new one!) My baby's happy that I like to eat cookies all day long. Amos is happy that I keep dropping crumbs on the floor as I eat and type. See....when the girls get in the kitchen - everyone comes away happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment