Monday, July 12, 2010

Enjoying our time

I think last week may have been the last of my "oh #$*^, there is a baby coming home with us in a few weeks" moments. Let's just hope, right? I lounged in anxiety last week just feeling all clingy and needy and scared inside but only acting paralyzed on the outside. Luckily, I made my list....THE list.....and felt a little better afterwards. More so, the best husband and I know and the most gracious mama I know jumped into action to knock some things off the list that only seemed to get longer every time I walked by it hanging in the kitchen.
So this weekend we spent busying ourselves with baby-preparation activities including but not limited to moving the largest and nicest piece of furniture we own down the stairs without a scratch, moving several pieces of furniture for the baby's room upstairs, hanging curtains, rearranging the common spaces to give Brooks room to get in trouble and the baby room to swing and bounce, washing newborn things and trying unsuccessfully to find pieces to anything baby (why is it that every baby thing we own is missing atleast one non-integral but still obvious piece?) Oh, and if it sounded like I had anything to do with the above - I didn't. Literally, I have been paralyzed and unable to even tie my own shoes (because of my belly and paralysis) and therefore, I have watched as my two favorite busy bees tried to calm my nerves and get rid of my daunting list.
But, we really have enjoyed these first days of July. For the first time in a very long while I don't feel like there is a ticking clock around my neck waiting to ding when the baby is done cooking. Honestly, I've almost tried to forget about what is about to happen and rather just live truly in the moment with Brad and Brooks. This weekend we were "sprinkled" with support, encouragement, and diapers!!!! Seriously, we may have enough diapers to last through next Spring and Brad says at that point that we'll just go ahead and potty train them both! Go right ahead, Brad. I came away from this time with girl friends feeling so loved and so at peace about God's story for our family. In the midst of a crazy two years and a move in the middle - it is so humbling to know there are some dear girls who are still very committed to me as a friend and to our family.

We have approximately 5 weeks left as a family of 3 and here are just a few of the things we plan to do or un-plan to do....meaning, we have no agenda and I couldn't feel more rested and excited to enjoy a few weeks of nothing with my two favorite boys.
*enjoy the thunderstorms! Beware - call before visiting if it's raining in Atlanta because Brooks and maybe his pregnant mother likes to enjoy a summer thunderstorm with little clothing restriction
*eat a Yoforia yogurt almost everyday and sometimes twice
*see a movie or two and eat the buttery popcorn
*eat at Brooks favorite restaurants - Cafe at Pharr, Taqueria del Sol, and OK Cafe (or maybe my favorite's!)
*enjoy a baby that sleeps 12 hours at night and still naps for 2-4 hours a day. Oh boy, I am not ready to get up 3 or 4 times a night! It's crazy how you forget about those early, exhausting days
*enjoy the last few weeks of my 2 years of pregnancy-treatment. No longer can I ask Brad to do silly tasks that I can probably do but convince him I can't because of the baby's hiccups or something ridiculous
*enjoy an over night date night or two we hope! (Babysitting anyone?) There's nothing like waking up to a snoring husband and just laying in the bed for as long as you want without the mini-me begging for "ma-ma" from his crib!
*enjoy most meals out because I can't use the I'm too big and too hot to cook excuse much longer
*enjoy time with our friends that may not want to go out with us when we are man-to-man coverage. I am pretty sure some of you sweet friends will boycott our family of 4 for awhile - atleast until we get this new thing under control.
*enjoy not pushing myself at the gym because the extra 15 minutes of cardio doesn't do much for me these days anyway - but it a few months I plan to be G.I.Jane and FINALLY have my pre-baby body back!!!!
*enjoy eachother. I really have enjoyed just being with Brad lately. It's kinda felt like those first months of marriage where you just like to be near each other even if there isn't anything to say. This is so refreshing because as any married couple knows - those first giddy feelings don't stay around forever but goodness, when they come back throughout the busy years - it feels so good and relaxing! Plus, Brad is hot! Ever since I started gaining weight Brad has decided to get buff on me and I am enjoying watching his inner-stud come alive!

Of course, all of this enjoying that I plan to do may be cut short if my belly continues to tighten and contract the way it has today. It is waaaaaay too early to be feeling any of those unforgettable feelings. Way too early, baby! Do you hear me. TOO EARLY!!! I need a few more weeks to relax and watch other sweet people take care of the list!

And because of every decent blogger knows that no one reads their words and just skips to the pictures of the chubby one year old (though he is losing some of his beloved "chub") - here are some pictures. You're welcome.

Brooks flirting hard with Ally Grace. They were playing some kind of baby footsie. Ooh la la!

Show me your teeth, goofball!

My new place to play during the middle of the day. My mom is so smart! (Don't worry - she is right next to me the whole time because she actually gets to sit down on the potty next to my "playpen" and watch me play without chasing me around!)

And a few pics from this weekend's wonderful "sprinkle" hosted by my mama and my dear friend, Loretta! The girls below are all a part of my bible study from years ago and we are all due within 10 days of each other (except for the hot 50 year old, Loretta)

My mom's lovely decor and some of my favorite foods (and the little growing baby's)

3 comments:

  1. You girls are so beautiful! Wish I was closer so I could "sprinkle" you with love and diapers, too :) Prayers for you Bets!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw!! I so wish we were closer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loretta was fantastic and I so,love being with her. She is so neat and sweet and seems like such a dear friend. I can see why you call her your second "Mom". She adores you and your family! The sprinkle was fun and uplifting! Loretta has such a way of beautifully saying how God's grace has been given to you and Brad and Brooks.
    She is like the "mommy whisperer"...very soothing to hear her speak and pray.

    ReplyDelete