Friday, July 23, 2010

I should be sleeping

Don't ever feel bad for me if I happen to mention to you that I am just so tired. This statement has become all too familiar to the two people that put up with me - my husband and my mama.
I do it to myself. Why can't I just accept the crazy notion that humans need rest and that sleep is a really good thing. Newsflash, Betsy: no one gets to heaven quicker because they decided to do-do-do when everything in their body has told them to sit-sit-sit. I just can't sit still these days. Hmmm.....I wonder why? It's that big elephant in the room called a Bee-Ayy-Beee-Why.
My stomach is and has been huge for sometime now. I can't bend down to pick up Brooks' toys and I've had heart burn every minute for the last 6 months that only seems to worsen at night when I lay awake making lists in my head and longing for just a little sleep. So, you would think that the fact (and there is no way around the fact) that a baby IS COMING ( I have to say it out loud every time I think it so it may sink in a little more) would be obvious.
It's not obvious to me. The doctor asked me at my appointment Wednesday if I finally believed I was pregnant and then looked at me like I was not human when I asked if the baby (that I can't acknowledge) will maybe be late? He said he hadn't heard one other expectant mother that is due in August that had asked (or begged) that the baby take it's time cookin a little longer.

Tomorrow, technically (whatever that means), this baby boy will be considered full term which to me just means it's time for everyone to start bugging me with "what does the doctor think?" type questions. It seems that I have been weeks away for long enough now that I've never felt like the clock was actually going anywhere and I have been perfectly happy in my Peter-Pan like euphoria, gaining weight and losing flexibility but all the while continuing to believe that there was no end result - ever....no growing up to do. But as I lay here on the couch after an exhausting morning walk in the heat and a crazy (but entertaining) playgroup at our house, and my belly feels like it is tightening for minutes on end I am starting to consider the obvious......this baby has to come out soon. Oh, gosh, THIS BABY HAS TO COME OUT SOON (I have to say that one out loud, too). You'd think the stork dropped Brooks off or something considering the denial that I have lived under for some time now.

Anyway, something deep down inside of me whether I admit it or act on it - knows that baby is coming because like I said earlier, I can't sit down. I find the silliest things to keep me awake and then when I am not actually doing something I am writing a list of the things I will do the next time I should be napping and choose stubbornly not to.

But alas, just as my eyes are starting to droop and the ache in my legs is undeniable - the eldest little one begins to talk from his crib. Really, y'all, why is it a universal law that is as real as gravity? The moment you even have a thought that your baby will wake up - they do! And you can't stop yourself from thinking that that so once it enters the brain- bam - the baby is awake!
*******
Since we aren't napping over here....here are some playgroup and lunch date pics.
Yes, husband, this was a GREAT garage sale find.
The most precious school bus driver ever.
Playgroup does White Water on the back porch!

Cruel mommy's push their children down the slide into the freezing water. They eventually thought this was really fun and were pushing each other over to get to go next.
A cute Caroline and her "bubble bootie" after fun time in the pool.
This is what mommy's do when they are all out of entertainment ideas....sit on the table, kids, and don't move! Gotta love mama-Sherri's face.

2 comments:

  1. Bahaa! I LOVE Caroline's Bootylicious shot! I wish we had a video of her waddling! We had a blast, hope you can make it to our's! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, love baby B #2 (and #1!), and you know I am here to help in any way I can once the big moment arrives. If that playgroup didn't send you into labor, you're probably good for a few more weeks! : ) And yes, I know EXACTLY what you're saying about thinking that the baby will wake up, and then they do. It's like AG was born with ESP or something. Or just stubbornness.

    ReplyDelete