Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pure entertainment

Before Brad and I ever even considered accidentally getting pregnant with the first bambino we would talk about how fun it would be one day to not have to go out to dinner or go to the movies but rather spend our time watching kids be kids. Now, of course, we would die for a movie together - as I think it has truly been before his birth last May that we went to a real, live movie theater. And, well, we still eat dinner out TOO MUCH but our once distant dream is right before us - we have free entertainment at our disposal 10-12 hours a day. Okay, maybe not "free" but we don't have to pay any extra for the entertainment other than sometimes our public humiliation or shame as new parents that don't know what to do with a kicking, throwing 14 month old.

This weekend has been one of those weekends of pure, innocent, raw entertainment by our own little stooge. I know everyone says every year is more fun than the last but I just don't think there is anything more enjoyable in life than watching a 1+ year old learn about the world around him. I know 2 will be fun because he will understand more and 3 will be great because we may start to have real conversations but I just don't think it gets any better......Mr. Brooks is truly a walking curious George but with the determination and conviction of a 40 year old. It's hysterical how he can be all baby and all grown man (not grown child, but like a grown 70 year old wise man) all in one - all day long! From his expressions to the precision in which he completes a task - or even creates those tasks for himself to do. I can just hear him thinking, I have to go put this monkey on the table and then shut the door or else I'll lose my marbles. Or, I will out this shoe on my foot if it takes me 4 hours and then when I do, I will take it off and place it in this one spot that I have been thinking about for days on end.

Our once quiet little man has become quite verbose these days repeating any sound he can get his mouth around. You would expect baby-like babble but this little one chooses the much more proper type of English - call ling me his "mom" and Brad his "dad".....no "ma-ma's" around here. And as I've said before, his eyes and eyebrow combination could make a 29 year old pregnant woman think she is crazy for ever ever thinking she might put the book back in the book basket that had just been read (only) 5 times. How can a 14 month old who looks like a drunken sailor when he is walking convince an adult that she has absolutely lost her mind nearly 80% of the day with just the raise of an eyebrow? Anyway, this weekend Brooks pulled out all of the stops - sliding down the slide by himself without falling backwards and knocking the wind out of him, walking nearly as fast as we were walking tonight as we "played" around the shopping center after dinner, dancing around the house at the mention of the word dance or even a slight whistle from his dad, learning to pat Amos "gently" as we've been trying to show him to do for some time now to sitting at his new little-big boy table all by himself as if we were to bring him his coffee and paper immediately.

I really do love this guy with every ounce of me. I know you know that. I know everyone feels the same for their little procreation's but goodness, I just never considered that my heart would fall so deeply for something. This has been a fun season, Mr. Brooks and we appreciate the giggles you bring to the family even over this last roller coaster of a season. You are pure entertainment, little buddy!
Just a normal Sunday morning conversation before church.
Thank goodness they started giving me my-sized things! This is more like it...
Dancing in the sun room is dangerous. You never know where you might land. Watch out Johnny's Hideaway!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Where'd you get the table? Looking for one for Karcyn...

    ReplyDelete