Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oh heavenly days

My old roommate, Kat, introduced me to Patty Griffin for the most part. Though she would freeze my bra or kick me to a curb if I admit this little story on the world wide web - I'll tell you anyway because I love her I would only do it if I knew she was going to be famous one day so my silly stories won't matter. She would sing in one spot in our old house, aptly named the Terrace. She has a breath taking voice but not in a Whitney Houston kinda way....more like a Jennifer Nettles or the sweet raspy voice of the girl singer in Lady Antebellum. Kat sang at my wedding and I have a cd of the moment that never leaves my disk changer in the car. It was truly one of the more special things that anyone has done for me. Anyway, she can play the guitar and sing like no other person I know. We would beg her to sing and she wouldn't but occasionally we could catch her in her spot. When we did catch her she would most often be singing a Patty Griffin song but better than Patty herself.

So, Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin has since been once of my go-to songs when the moment is just right or especially when the moments aren't seeming so right but I am needing to be reminded that it is all okay. Well, this weekend all of the moments were so right.

Brad and I have been "stay-cating" in Atlanta for the past 5 days and I don't know that I've had a more relaxing few days since our honeymoon in St. Lucia. I am sure it is the lurking "change" that has caused us to grasp these days together and squeeze ever last drop of simplicity and normalcy out of them. To be honest, it is so rare that Brad and I just sit and enjoy each other. I know that sounds harsh to admit to an online following but I think it is true for most couples but every other couple looks at other couples and thinks everything looks perfect. It's not that we sit and do the opposite and fight or throw things......we just seemed to be tired on any given normal day to really enjoy the things that first brought us together. Fortunately, this weekend was so rare and we truly have enjoyed each other - and our differences all weekend. Why does it take us not being in our own house in our normal environment to just laugh together and at each other? I don't know this answer and I don't care. The bottom line is that this vacation of sorts has truly been just what the doctor and therapist ordered.

Brooks has enjoyed exploring all umpteen thousand square feet of our temporary home. He asked me "how come our whole house would fit it in this kitchen?" I told him that love grows in small places and he gave me a big ole hug! Still, the space has been sooooo nice! Brad and I have brushed our teeth 4 times a day just because we could about run a 1/2 mile in a circle in our temporary bathroom all the while cleaning our teeth! More so, we have enjoyed the pool 18 hours out of each 24 hour day. I know a pool in a back yard can be troublesome but when you are just house sitting - it is heavenly! Brooks has taken super long afternoon naps and Brad and I have followed suit all weekend and napped on a float in the privacy of our own back yard.

Yesterday we had to run to our real home to pick up a few things and neither of us really wanted to open the door because even though we have only been 10 minutes away - we feel worlds away and even driving in the neighborhood momentarily seemed to bring an early end to our perfect getaway! So, yes, the scenery and the space and the newness of a different place have been ideal but as I said, it's the other stuff that has been so wonderful. My heart has grown bigger in just 72 hours. Any stress over the imposing of a new human in our lives has fled my shoulders (well, lets say most of it) and actually there is the first touch of excitement over this new chapter. But most of all, my heart feels so grateful for the first time in a long while.

That sounds so icky to admit but it is so true. It's not that I have been ungrateful or bitter - just kinda stale and unphased by this huge blessing. Really, I probably can say for the first time in full honesty that I know this is a blessing. As I watched Brooks learn to pick himself up this weekend when he would fall down and then proceed to almost run to get his ball out of the water - I could just about picture these two precious brothers exploring the outdoors in about a year from now while I watch - and my heart melts. Saturday I sat outside among the perfect landscaping while both of my boys slept. I just sat alone and breathed as slow as I could make myself (which isn't very slow when you are out of shape and huge!). I shut my eyes and for the first time was truly thankful to our heavenly father for all of my unexpected gifts in the past two years. As a friend wrote this weekend, my picture is not at all what I had in my head but it is soo good. It has certainly been a crazy three years for us between quick engagements, job transitions and two un-considered pregnancies...oh and two moves....but I sat Saturday and really, truly knew that the Lord knew exactly what He was doing. In the midst of giving all of these beautiful things to me and taking us through the ringer a few times - He is also drawing me so close to His heart. The devotional I've been reading, Jesus Calling, was all about gratitude on Saturday and I was so thankful that the words on the page seemed written to me - to be read at that exact time in that exact place.

As Patty Griffin's words have often followed other monumental events in the last few years...so I know those same words will not only follow but proceed this new life. I can confidently claim that God has began a slow work in my heart and with nearly 5 weeks or less until our new baby joins our family - I am anxious to receive this new blessing. It feels so goo good to feel so good....I've missed this! Thank you, Father.

Oh Heavenly day
All the clouds blew away
Got no trouble today
With anyone

The smile on your face
I live only to see
It's enough for me baby
It's enough for me
Oh heavenly day
Heavenly day

Tomorrow may rain with sorrow
Here's a little time we can borrow
Forget all our troubles in these moments so few
Only that right now the only thing that all that we really have to do

Is have ourselves a heavenly day
Lay here and watch the trees sway
Oh can't see no other way
No way
No way
Heavenly day heavenly day heavenly day

No one on my shoulder
Bringing me fears
Got no clouds up above me
Bringing me tears
Got nothing to tell you
I got nothing much to say
Only I'm glad to be here with you
On this heavenly heavenly heavenly heavenly heavenly day
Oh all the troubles gone away
Oh for awhile anyway
For awhile anyway
Heavenly day

Oh heavenly day!


And if we ever decide to come home I'll post some fun pictures of our weekend away. I am thinking if we squat here a little while longer than legally we can stay??? Right?

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite song by Patty Griffin and it makes me cry tears of joy.

    ReplyDelete